Hashemite Diamond

yalo104

عضو
إنضم
7 نوفمبر 2010
المشاركات
التفاعل
1 0 0
eyewitness account of the aerial encounter that took place between Israeli mirages and Jordanian hunters on Nov,13,1966.

On the morning of Nov 13, 1966 the siren sounded at Mafraq air base and a flight of two hunter aircraft scrambled. This section comprised of Lt. Salti and Lt. shurdom. Three minutes later another pair was scrambled Lead by Lt. Jaser Zayyad and Lt. Abdeen as wingman. The reason was to alleviate the pressure on Jordanian infantry positions under attack by combined Israeli forces. Arriving at the scene I found that Red leader was engaged in combat with an Israeli mirage while number two lt. Shurdom was closely pursued by a hostile Mirage which was closing in for a kill.
I warned Shudom of the attacker and asked him to tighten the turn. At the time I was pulling up taking advantage of my speed to attack a flight of four Mirages capping. As I was zooming up the Israeli aircraft releasd one missile at close range. I clled Lt. Shurdom to break left and watched the missile miss him and explode in the vineyards. Apparently, the four aircraft spotted my section because they split in two pairs. As No 3&4 turned right and down I decided to turn inside and pursue for a kill. As I was closing less than 600 yards the No 4 left his leader to the left and I asked my No2 to watch him who mistook the order to get him. I closed in to 380 yards and released a good burst of my aden guns. At that instant I heard Salti give a call Hunter behind Mirage BREAK. I immediately broke without ensuring the fate of the targeted mirage. Re grouping at low level the situation looked desperate as there was a whole squadron of Mirages in the air. As we were close to the border and far away from base I ordered withdrawal and made sure red section exited a head of my section. I lost radio contact with Salti and found out upon landing that he was lost in action.

So, the facts are as follows:
Israeli aircraft were attacking Jordanian positions.
Israeli aircraft were armed with missiles.
A whole squadron not less than ten mirages were involved.
The hunters were armed with aden guns only and did not even jettison the drop tanks to stay in combat and ensure enough fuel for return.
Blue leader claims a hit and blue 2 claimed damage of another.
Red leader was lost after ejection which he did not survive.
Gun camera photo available pluss medal of curage and last my helmet with rondel and mirage III drown on it.

I hope this puts the record straight. It is now history. Thanks

عودة
أعلى